This sauerkraut really does have it all!!
High in vitamin C, digestive enzymes, probiotics, and anti-inflammatory tumeric (powered with the addition of pepper). Add iodine from the seaweed salt, crunch, flavour and colour, and well... it's just about perfect.
This is the side dish to go with every single meal. Your digestion and immune system will love you for it!
- 1kg cabbage, shredded
- 3g freshly ground black pepper
- 15g freshly grated tumeric root or tumeric powder
- 20g seaweed salt
- ¼ cup KW water kefir
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 stick finely celery diced
- Add all ingredients into a large bowl and massage for 5-10 minutes until the cabbage is soft and reduced in volume. You should be able to squeeze liquid out of a handful when it is ready. This liquid is the brine and you will need this to ferment successfully.
- Place all of the mixture into a large 1.5L jar, ensure cabbage is packed tightly and is submerged under the brine – this is key for preventing mould. If needed, place a glass or ceramic weight to hold down the cabbage, or a cabbage leaf.
- This should ferment in 3-5 days, slightly open the lid to ‘burp’ your kraut each morning for the first 3 days.
- Transfer to the fridge where is will keep for 12 weeks.
Enjoy with paleo sausages, boiled eggs or as a crunchy topper in a delicious bowl of soup