Hot Cross Buns are such a delicious treat at Easter time, but the hot cross buns you find in the supermarket contain a number of preservatives, artificial flavours, refined oils, gluten and lots of highly refined sugar. They also contain dried fruit which is high in sugar and may also have a number of preservatives which can be harsh on the gut.
*Enter Diversity Dough …*
With our Hot Cross Bun recipe, we use our beautiful diversity dough and natural, wholefood ingredients so you can enjoy the deliciousness of traditional Hot Cross Buns without the inflammatory oils, sugars, additives and gluten, while also boosting your microbiome diversity with resistant starches and fibres.
I hope you enjoy these as much as my family does!
Ingredients for Cross
-2 TBS tapioca
-1 TBS DD
Ingredients for the Dough
-1 cup diversity dough
-1 cup almond meal
-1 tsp bicarb
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 TBs ACV
-¼ cup coconut flour – if needed
-1 tsp nutmeg
-2 tsp cinnamon
-2 tsp mixed spice
-½ tsp ground clove
-Zest of 1 orange
-3 TBS granulated xylitol (or to taste)
Method for Cross
Mix with enough water to make a pipeable paste
Pipe across buns before baking
Method for Dough
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
2. Add eggs, spices, xylitol, orange zest, bicarb, baking powder and ACV to a mixer or blender and combine.
3. Add almond meal and Diversity Dough mix
4. Combine until it forms a dough. If at this point the mixture is a little too wet to make a roll, add the coconut flour and combine, within a minute the coconut flour will have made the dough firmer and able to roll into balls
5. Divide the dough into 8 portions and roll into balls – if moist, either oil or flour hands prior to forming the dough balls.
6. Place 2cm apart on a baking tray
7. Take the paste for the cross and pipe across the buns in the traditional hot cross shape.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top,
Enjoy these spicy, doughy hot cross buns with lashings of butter this easter!
For those not limiting carbs:
Add 1/2 cup organic or pesticide-free currants prior to shaping the rolls
For those following a keto / low carb diet: Add 1/2 cup organic or pesticide-free currants to 1/2 cup Kultured Wellness Kefir. Ferment in an airtight jar for 2-3 days. Prior to making the Hot Cross Buns, strain well and pat dry with a paper towel.