Livers are a nutrient dense source of protein that are packed with vitamin A, iron, folate, magnesium, B vitamins (especially B12) and more, plus they are also amazing at assisting with detoxification and liver function.
This recipe is a great way to this superfood into your day!
- 2 large brown onions, diced
- 500g organic chicken livers (drain away the excess liquid)
- 4-5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 100g butter + 2 tbsp for frying
¼ - ½ cup chicken bone broth
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to a frying pan. Add the onions and garlic, fry until golden brown.
- When the onions and garlic are done, add the pepper, paprika and cumin. Fry this for another minute or until the spices are fragrant.
- Remove the onions and garlic from the frying pan (but leave the fat in the pan) and scoop it onto a plate while you cook the livers.
- Add the livers to the frying pan, make sure the pan is large enough so the livers aren’t overcrowded. You need them to fry not to boil in the fat. Once the livers have browned on the bottom, flip them over. Sprinkle the livers with the salt, onion and garlic powder and continue frying until cooked through.
- Now add the onion and garlic mix back into the pan and fry with the 100g of butter or ghee until all of the ingredients are caramelised and incredibly fragrant. The mixture should be a very dark golden brown colour.
- When it’s ready, scoop all of the ingredients into a food processor or thermomix and blend into a smooth paste.
- Scrape down the sides. Add as much or as little chicken broth to the paté as needed to reach your desired consistency. If you like it super silky and smooth add in ¼ - ½ cup when blending. You can omit the broth if you prefer some texture in your paté. Keep blending until you reach your desired consistency.
- Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Scoop the mixture into a container and store in the fridge.