Why are people adding weird things to their coffee?
Dave Asprey, founder of Bulletproof, started the trend of adding MCT oil and butter or ghee to coffee to create a keto-friendly drink that provides the mind and body with fuel to keep you going. But since then, people have been supercharging their bulletproofs with things like gelatin and collagen.
Why? Well there are a few good reasons to boost your morning brew, and it’s not just because it tastes good!
☕ Improves cognitive function
☕ Improves physical performance
☕ Increase and longer lasting energy
☕ Suppress food cravings (thanks to the beautiful fats that keep you feeling satiated)
☕ Assists with fat loss if you are practicing intermittent fasting
Gelatin and collagen are a great source of protein that support your muscles, joints, skin, hair, nails and teeth and also assists with liver detoxification, digestion and mood.
Coconut oil and MCT oil are healthy fats that are loaded with medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) that have been linked to improved cognitive function, weight loss and reduced cravings.
Grass-fed butter or ghee is rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, vitamin K2 and butyrate, which is a wonderful source of food for beneficial gut bacteria.
Adding good quality fats, collagen and gelatin into your coffee will keep you feeling satisfied and also provides you with a slower, more even release of caffeine so you don’t get the jitters.
- 1 x double shot of organic espresso or 1 cup of freshly brewed black coffee
- ¾ - 1 cup boiling water if using the espresso shot, however if you’ve already brewed your coffee, you won’t need the extra water
- ½ -1 tbsp gelatin mixed into 3 tbsp water
- ¼ cup of boiling water
- 1-2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 1-2 tbsp Brain Octane Oil or coconut oil
Vanilla powder, cinnamon, ginger, slippery elm, cacao powder*, turmeric powder, cacao butter, adaptogenic-powdered herbs (ashwagandha, ginseng etc), collagen powder, stevia*
- Mix the gelatin and 3 tbsp of water together in a mug and set it aside for a minute or two and allow it to ‘bloom’ and thicken.
- Once the gelatin has bloomed and the coffee is brewed add all the ingredients into your thermomix or high speed blender and blitz for 30 seconds, or until frothy.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy immediately.
📸 Jordan Pie