This is a great drink to consume first thing in the morning to wake up your liver and kick-start your metabolism for the day. It is a potent source of vitamin C and is a wonderful immunity drink to make and enjoy year round. As this is a kvass, it is intended that you only consume the liquid. You can make a second batch using the same ingredients that are left in the jar. Just add more kefir starter and refill again with water.
- 1 kg carrots, cut into coins
- 8-10 slices orange rind
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- ½ cup Kultured Wellness Coconut Kefir
- Filtered water, to cover.
- Place the carrots, orange rind (peeled from the orange using a vegetable peeler), ginger and kefir in a 2lt fermenting jar and top up with water.
- Cover with a cheesecloth and leave to ferment for 3 days.
- When the fermentation time is up, stir with a wooden spoon and strain the liquid into another glass jar or bottle and store in the fridge.
- You can then add another ½ cup kefir and more filtered water and ferment the initial ingredients a second time to yield another 2 litres of Kvass before starting again from scratch.